Canned food might not be as bad for you as you might have thought. Along with foods such as organic beans, wild-caught fish or tomato paste, one of the foods that provide the biggest bang for your buck is canned organic coconut milk.
Health Benefits Of Canned Organic Coconut Milk
Energy Boosting Fat
Coconuts have become synonymous with fit bodies and enriched lifestyles over the years, and for good reason. Not only are coconuts only able to grow in tropical (often luxurious) climates, they are also filled with health-boosting benefits that could help turn an average body into an extravagant body.
Coconut milk (like whole milk) is high in fats. However, the type of fat found in coconut milk, as well as the amount it contains, is very different from what is found in whole milk. Coconut milk is high in saturated fats, but not the saturated fats many have come to associate with obesity and raised levels of cholesterol.
The saturated fats found in coconut milk are mainly short and medium chain fatty acids, which are usually not stored by the body as extra and unhealthy fats. These short and medium chain fatty acids have been found to provide instant energy to the body. Coconut milk’s ability to supercharge the body’s energy supply is just one of many reasons this sweet dairy alternative is one of the healthiest foods you could get your hands on.
Immune System Support
Your body is under constant attack from destructive pathogens in the air, water, and even your food. One of the most amazing health benefits of coconut milk is its high content of lauric acid. Lauric acid can be found in the fats which coconut milk contains. Lauric acid has powerful antibacterial, anti-fungal, and antiviral properties.
Lauric acid can also help in maintaining the elasticity of your blood vessels and in keeping them clean. Because of this, the lauric acid helps lower your risk of developing health issues such as atherosclerosis and heart disease.
Recipes For Coconut Milk
Coconut milk is an extremely versatile ingredient that can be incorporated into a wide selection of meals. Here are just a few recipes to get you started:
Coconut Milk and Oatmeal
What You Will Need:
- 1⁄2 cup of water
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup of coconut milk
While this recipe is simple, it will help you enjoy the full health benefits of coconut milk in a delicious meal.
- First, bring 250 ml water to boil.
- Next add in about 1 cup of rolled oats allow oats to cook for about 3 minutes in boiling water.
- Finally, slowly add in coconut milk until you have reached the desired consistency.
- For some extra flavor add a handful of raisins.
What you will need:
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 2 Fresh Garlic Cloves, Finely Minced
- 1 Large Yellow Onion, Finely Chopped
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Curry Powder
- 2 teaspoons Ground Cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 teaspoon Ground Tumeric
- 1 pound Boneless Chicken Breasts, Cut into 1″Bite Size Pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Tomato Paste
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
- 2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
- In a wok, heat the oil over a medium-high heat, then add chopped onions into the heated oil and cook for 6-8 minutes or until transparent.
- Add garlic and cook for 1-2 more minutes.
- Next, stir in some cumin, turmeric, 1 teaspoon of curry powder, red pepper flakes, and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Allow this blend to cook for 1 minute.
- Next, add tomato paste to the mix, and stir until all ingredients blended.
- Next, add your chicken to the remaining curry powder, season with salt and pepper, and add to the wok.
- Cook for about 5-6 minutes until outside is golden brown.
- Finally, pour coconut milk into the wok.
- Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally for 7 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through, and enjoy.
- This recipe works best served over a bed of Jasmine rice.
Vegan Kale and White Bean Korma
What You Will Need:
- 1 Tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon of minced ginger
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cubed (optional)
- 4 ounces of tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons of curry powder
- One 13 1/2ounce can of coconut milk
- 2 cups of kale, roughly chopped
- 15 ounces white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 6 minutes, or until soft and translucent.
- Next, stir in minced garlic and ginger; continue stirring until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in peeled sweet potato cubes, tomato sauce, and curry powder.
- Continue stirring for 10 minutes or until the potatoes begin to soften.
- Finally add in coconut milk, kale, and beans to the mixture. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft and completely cooked.
These recipes will not only allow you to enjoy the awesome health benefits coconut milk provides, they will also give your taste buds something to look forward too.